ISBR Design Specifics Include:
- Designed to fit in a standard 2-in. and 4-in. schedule 40 wells
- The packed-bed bioreactor contains Bio-Sep beads and is open for fluid flow at the top and bottom.
- Can be used to enhance either aerobic or anaerobic conditions.
- Aerobic: Air sparging into the bottom of the packed bed (from a surface compressor) provides oxygen to enhance aerobic biodegradation and creates air lift for circulation of groundwater.
- Anaerobic: Nitrogen gas from a surface compressed gas source is used to provide gas-lift circulation in the ISBR.
- Configured for continuous injection of nutrients from a surface source as needed to maintain the growth and reproduction of the microbes.
- Can be used to transfer adapted indigenous microbial populations from well to well or site to site.
- Specifically designed to use Bio-Trap samplers within the ISBR and down-gradient to monitor the effects on populations of degraders and maximize performance.
- BioEnhance is an extension of the Bio-Trap samplers which have been used successfully for a decade to provide converging lines of evidence to evaluate bioremediation as a treatment mechanism and direct site management activities.
These properties combine to make Bio-Sep an ideal medium for an in situ biotreatment system where indigenous bacteria with biodegradation capabilities may be concentrated for treatment within a groundwater monitoring well and transported away from the wellbore by groundwater flow and growth through the aquifer matrix.